Davao City (16 January) -- Officials and leaders of different provinces here in Davao Region are also concerned about the ongoing progress of the Davao City's Bankerohan bridge.
The bridge which collapse in May last year has been bogged by delays and the construction of a new bridge to supersede the 50-year old structure is slated to commence this January 16 and is expected to be completed by August this year.
Davao City 2nd District Congressman Isidro Ungab, during in a media forum said that aside from local Davao City officials who were following up the progress of the construction bridge, Congressmen from Davao del Norte and Davao del Sur were also following up on the bridge's progress.
Congressman Ungab said that even if the bridge is located in the City's first district, the effects of a damaged infrastructure is felt not just by the other city districts but also by the City's neighbors as well particularly Davao del Sur.
The Department of Public Works and Highways Regional Office under Regional Director Engr. Jerome dela Rosa has informed the media last week of the release of a Notice to Proceed to Ciriaco Construction, the contractors of the P206-million project.
Engr. Dela Rosa said one of the delays in the bridge's construction was the rules and procedure of the Commission of Audit which the Department is mandated to follow.Other delays include the lack of a berthing space for the contractor to unload their materials. The contractor would be utilizing a private pier in Sasa as a berthing area for their materials. (PIA)